LASIK surgery is a procedure that is potentially life-changing and while there are multiple instructions from Dr. Kent Wellish here at Wellish Vision Institute in Las Vegas of what do pre-surgery there are also instructions for post-surgery. What is LASIK you may ask? LASIK is an acronym for laser-assisted in situ keratomileuses which is also referred to as laser vision correction surgery. People that are candidates for LASIK are ones who have blurry vision, cannot see at a far distance, or even suffer from astigmatism. If you currently wear contacts and glasses then you may be a great candidate for this procedure.
Dr. Wellish and his experienced staff provide each patient with written and verbal instructions on how to prepare for the day of LASIK. But, what many people aren’t aware of is there are also protocols and procedures for post LASIK surgery. During LASIK surgery at our surgery center, Dr. Kent Wellish creates a flap in the cornea and then places it back when the procedure is completed. For the next several days, the flap of the cornea is very fragile and patients need to take precautions when going through day to day life.
Some of the instructions for post-surgery are as follows:
- Follow all instructions for every eye drop that is prescribed and be sure to take them on schedule. For the first 48 hours, there are multiple drops that should be taken every few hours so be sure to set an alarm or keep track of your schedule as needed.
- After surgery, go home and sleep for 4 hours. This is crucial as your eyes need to be rested and closed immediately following surgery. You may be given goggles to sleep in so you do not touch or hit your eye in the midst of sleep. Dr. Wellish may have you wear these goggles for a week post-surgery to sleep in.
- Do not touch your eyes for at least a week. This involves washing your face and try to avoid getting water in them at all costs especially while bathing in the shower.
- Your eyes may appear bloodshot for up to three weeks post-surgery and that is completely normal. This will go down with time.
- Do not wear any eye makeup for at least a week after LASIK. There is a high risk for infection and once you do start wearing makeup again try and use all new makeup if possible. We know that this may not be possible, so clean all brushes, etc, before applying any makeup.
- Vision fluctuation is normal! If you are seeing 20/20 one day and wake up the next morning a little blurry in one eye that is a common symptom. If the blurriness continues throughout the day and extends into a longer period of time make sure to contact your doctor.
- You will have a one-day post-op post-surgery for Dr. Wellish is evaluate the healing process and then again at one week.
LASIK surgery at Wellish Vision Institute is one of the best things you can do for yourself. We strive to make sure our patients are educated on all processes and procedures because patient comfort is our utmost care. If you have any questions in regards to LASIK and if you are a candidate, please don’t hesitate to give our office a call to learn more. We offer free consultations for all potential LASIK patients and have three convenient locations across Las Vegas and Henderson for you to choose from. Lastly, we are offering $1,000 off LASIK through the end of the month so come take advantage of this offer while you can!