Skip to content

Are you a candidate for LASIK?

The vast majority of patients examined (between 90% and 95%) are great candidates for LASIK Las Vegas. Patients generally have specific contraindications for the remaining 5% to 10%, including extremely steep or extremely flat corneas, chronic dry eye, inadequate corneal thickness, etc.

If you are over 18, have had no changes in your prescription for two years, and have otherwise healthy eyes, you could be a good candidate for LASIK. Take our LASIK Self-Test to get a better idea of your candidacy. However, the only way to know for sure is to schedule a free VIP LASIK exam at Wellish Vision Institute in Las Vegas, NV to perform the necessary tests to determine your candidacy.

Schedule Free LASIK Consultation

The Ideal LASIK Patient Is:

  • At least 18 years of age
  • Stable vision for the past year
  • Adequate corneal tissue thickness
  • Overall good health
  • Strong knowledge of the benefits and risks of LASIK

Common Types Of Vision Problems That LASIK Treats Include:

  • Myopia (nearsightedness)
  • Hyperopia (farsightedness)
  • Astigmatism
  • Presbyopia

Not A LASIK Candidate

If you have any of the following conditions, you would NOT be a candidate for LASIK:

  • Conditions such as visually significant cataracts, glaucoma, corneal diseases, keratoconus, or certain other pre-existing eye diseases that affect or threaten vision
  • Collagen vascular diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, or significant problems with wound healing.
  • Refusal to participate in the consent process
  • Not having realistic expectations

To Be A Candidate:

  • You must be at least age 18
  • Have a prescription for glasses or contacts that has not changed significantly in the past year
  • Have good eye health
  • Not be pregnant or nursing
  • Not have a history of chronic dry eyes
  • Have good general health overall
  • Willing to make a change with your vision



Here at Wellish Vision Institute, if you are looking for an alternative to LASIK for vision correction surgery we have an option called ICL Implantable Contact Lenses. During ICL a special contact lens is implanted by Dr. Wellish inside the eye and works with the eye’s natural lens to provide excellent quality of vision for a wide range of correction. This is typically a good option for patients who are not candidates for LASIK or PRK, and if your prescription changes slightly over time it is interchangeable to be replaced.

ICL typically takes around the same amount of time as LASIK and you can be in and out in 30 minutes or less. Dr. Wellish then creates tiny micro incisions near the cornea to allow positioning of the lens between the iris and natural lens. Then, he will carefully implant the lens through these micro-incisions, and the implant will unfold on its own if placed correctly. Patients are given eye drops to use at home for post-operative care once the surgery is complete. With ICL, patients can typically see more clearly after 24 hours post-surgery,

If you are not a LASIK candidate, however, don’t worry – there are still options for you! At Wellish Vision Institute, we offer several LASIK alternatives for our patients.


2555 Box Canyon Dr.
Las Vegas, NV 89128


2110 E Flamingo Rd, Suite 210
Las Vegas, NV 89119


10424 South Eastern Avenue, Suite 100
Henderson, NV 89052


6710 S Fort Apache Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89148


2555 Box Canyon Dr.
Las Vegas, NV 89128

Surgery Center


Kent L. Wellish, MD
Kent L. Wellish, MD

Founder And Medical Director Nevada’s First Laser Vision Surgeon